I was really impressed by this lady for several reasons. It's not easy to take hurtful criticism and turn it into something positive and share it with the world. For a long time, even though it was obvious, I hating talking about the fact that I am fat. I even had a "coming out of the fat closet" speech prepared.
"I know we have known each other for a while, and I just wanted to be honest with you. I understand if this changes things but... I am fat."
It seems silly, but especially when I was dating someone, I dreaded having that talk. I felt like until it was actually vocalized, that it was a terrible secret I was keeping. There are still days when i am around a newer friend that if the subject of weight comes up I get nervous and pray that the focus does not go to me. Now that I am losing weight, I feel like there is a giant spot light on me. I worry about failing and having to explain why fat won, but more importantly, being disappointed in myself. That is one of the hardest things for me to overcome. When I fail at something I deeply want and put a lot of time and energy towards, I have a hard time being kind to myself and moving forward.
...huh, got a little distracted from the point there for a bit...
I was teased a lot as a kid. The friends I had until about 9th grade were pretty unkind. I felt like I was their friend so they had someone to tease and make fun of. (After that I made some really great friends that were kind and supportive) I remember hearing comments from kids in my classes about me being that fat girl. The sad thing is, back then I was a little chubby, but it was mostly because I hit puberty so young that I had a "woman's" body by the time I was in 7th grade. While everyone else was still flat chested and no hips, i had that body that most 18-25 year old women would kill for. Curvy, healthy and young. Try explaining that to a 12 year old though.. There are still times now when I go out, I hear a rude remark or two, and yes, it still hurts. I have to believe that people that make comments about fat people have never struggled with weight themselves or have had someone close to them go through the struggle. From my own personal experience, i can say that the teasing I received as a child and even into my adulthood has really made an impact on me. I don't readily trust people and I have a hard time letting my guard down.
I can not imagine being in this woman's shoes. She is my new personal hero and what women should strive to be - smart, brave, strong, kind, compassionate, and confident.
No comments:
Post a Comment